Anatomy of a Dinner Party: a day in the life of a hospitalityaholic

Birthday In NOLA – Final Installment

Written by Patti on March 1st, 2010

Good Morning, Darlings!

Our last day in New Orleans was off to a slow start. We had a quiet breakfast on a patio in the French Quarter and just moseyed around town on foot. The sky was grey and the day was misty. I didn’t even take any photos.

Eric and I packed and had a late lunch at The Gumbo Shop. Eric sampled both the chicken and the shrimp gumbos while I opted for a shrimp po’ boy.  Eric’s dishes won hands down, but the bread for the po’boys was so soft and crusty and delicious. Yum.

After lunch my cell rang and it was my friend Allen, who attends law school at Tulane.  We had missed each other the day before and looked forward to catching up today.  And so we decided to meet at the Napoleon House, one of the oldest bars in the French Quarter. So off Eric and I strode.

The Napoleon House is closed on Sunday.

We need a Plan B.

We chose Tujague’s (Thanks, Clint!), another very old bar in the quarter.  Eric and I get there first and get acquainted with the bartender who starts to whip us up some special cocktails. I don’t even ask, I just let him do his thing.  Allen arrives and it is so good catching up with our old friend.  Stories are bandied about and old names we haven’t uttered in some time creep up. It was just a hug for our souls.  As we are imbibing, there is a quick, hard thunderstorm outside. It seems very romantic to be in a 200+ year old bar in New Orleans with the rain beating down. Very Ernest Hemingway or F. Scott Fitzgerald.

After the rain let up, we decided it was time for dinner. We chose Muriel’s for its pretty decor and tasty sounding menu.

We started with the escargots and then split from there. I chose the salad and turtle soup, Eric decided on the duck, while Allen tried the three course meal that included a veal chop. The service was polished but not hovering and the space is beautiful.

Satisfied all around, we head back to our hotel for a nightcap at our gorgeous hotel bar. It is such a gift to be able to catch up with old friends. And you know what? We have one more bottle of champagne left to enjoy. We ask the front desk to send up an ice bucket and pop that last bottle while we pack.

Our 5:30 a.m. wake up call came way too early. The train left promptly at 7:05 a.m. and I have to say, as tired as I was, I was happy to board the train and have some breakfast (really great french toast), followed by a very long, languid nap in our sleeper car.  On the return trip, we enjoyed some more movies, some tasty on-board meals and more napping.  When we returned home to Atlanta, we were greeted by our darling Crystal who arrived at the station to take us home.

Traveling is wonderful, but isn’t arriving back home the best?

xoxo, Patti


5 Comments so far ↓

  1. Clint says:

    So glad you had a complete NO experience!

  2. Patti says:

    Thanks, Little Clint! I appreciated the tip! ooxx, P

  3. Christy says:

    Patti – did you ever reveal the painting you purchased in NOLA? I’ve been sitting on the edge of my chair!

  4. Patti says:

    Hi Christy!

    Not yet. The painting is still in NOLA until we pay it off. And then – the unveiling party! Should be around May.


  5. Patti says:

    Allen, we just adore you!! Could you email me Sarah’s info? We would love to see her. And let us know when you are home for spring break? xoxoxo, P